Maybe your router lists connected devices by their MAC address and you'd like to figure out which device is which. Or there's a chance you'll need to know your PC's MAC address to diagnose. MaryFi – Start your own Wi-Fi Hotspot! Use this free software to turn your PC into a virtual router. After all that, they had me disconnect the Ethernet cable from the router and plug it directly into my PC. Did a power down of the modem, unplugged the cable, and a few other things. At this point, with the modem reset and the Ethernet cable plugged directly into the computer (bypassing the router) I was able to get out to the internet.
If you are searching for the best wireless router for your Mac, you have come to the right page. In this Techspirited article, we will take a look at some of the best Mac-compatible routers available in the market presently.
Since their introduction back in 1984, Macintosh computers have always been a class apart from the rest of the competition. Apple’s Macintosh (Mac for short) brand is unique in many aspects. It is perhaps the only branded PC with its own exclusive operating system (Mac OS X). Everything about a Mac is custom-made. So when it comes to wireless networking connectivity, you have to look for a wireless router that is specially designed for it.
Would you like to write for us? Well, we're looking for good writers who want to spread the word. Get in touch with us and we'll talk..
Wireless Router Buying Guide
The prime features to look out for when deciding on a router are its data transmission speed, and the maximum range of connectivity that it offers. Both are decided by the wireless networking standards that the router uses.
It is advisable to opt for a wireless routers that is built according to the 802.11n standard, as it comprises some of the fastest routers in the business. They offer raw transmission speeds up to 600 Mbps. Dual band transmission is another feature to look out for as it means that your router can transmit on two frequencies, further boosting the connection speed.
When choosing a router for home or office use, you would also want it to have Ethernet connector ports for wired Internet access. The other important factor to look out for is wireless security in the form of WPA2 encryption and a firewall.
Best Wireless Routers for Mac
Compatibility with Mac and its hardware specifications and OS, is an essential prerequisite for any wireless router that you choose. The routers listed below are not exactly the best in the market, but they work best with Macs. It should come as no surprise that three out of the following four are manufactured by Apple computers itself.
Apple AirPort Extreme
If you are looking for perfect compatibility with your Macbook Pro, then go for the Apple AirPort Extreme. It has all the features that you need which is not surprising as it comes from the Apple pedigree. With dual-band transmission, 802.11n based connectivity, three Ethernet ports and built-in network security features, it is one of the best routers for Macbook Pro, and an excellent choice for home installation. It comes with a price tag of roughly $164.
Apple Time Capsule MC343LL/A 1TB
A bit more expensive than Apple Airport Extreme, the Apple Time Capsule has all the same features and is priced at $275. It costs more because of the internal 1 Terabyte hard drive that it is supplied with, which works in tandem with the Time Machine backup utility present in the Mac OS. This essentially makes it a router cum backup storage device.
Apple AirPort Express
If you are looking for a low-budget choice, Apple AirPort Express may be the right one for you. With a price tag of around $96, the Express is designed specifically for home usage. It supports 10 simultaneous connections, dual-band transmission, and conforms to the 802.11n standard. It is an excellent choice for the low-budget user.
Linksys WRT400N Double-N Performance Wireless Router
The only third party product in this list, the Linksys WRT400N has it all, and makes for a close competitor to the Apple Airport Extreme. It uses dual-band Wireless-N technology, and comes with full WPA2 encryption, while conforming with the 802.11n standard. All that you would need from a router, comes packed in this product, which could be yours for about $134.
Would you like to write for us? Well, we're looking for good writers who want to spread the word. Dir for mac. Get in touch with us and we'll talk..
This list should prove helpful in narrowing down the choices for the perfect router for your Mac computer. Remember to choose that product which exactly suits your requirements as well as your budget.
- Boosting Wireless Router Signal Strength
There are many ways to boost the signal strength of a wireless router, and all of them are very easy and economical to administer. These methods will speed up your…
- Fastest Wireless Router
Analyzing your needs and the specifications of various wireless routers will help you buy the fastest wireless router. Here is a simple, straightforward guide to selecting the fastest Wi-Fi router…
- Wireless Router Reviews
Wireless routers are the primary components of any wireless network. In this article, you will find reviews of the four best wireless routers on offer.
Looking for some virtual router program? Here is a list of the best virtual routers – there are virtual modem software, virtual router software for Mac, virtual router software for Windows XP, virtual router software for Windows 7 free download, etc.
Choose a virtual router download and turn your computer into a virtual wi-fi router!
1. MaryFi – Start your own Wi-Fi Hotspot!
Use this free software to turn your PC into a virtual router.
- Works on Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 computers
- Wirelessly share any internet connection
- Safety and security ensured by password-protected WPA2 encryption
- Works even when proxy or VPN connection is used
- All your Wi-Fi enabled devices can join your Maryfi hotspot
- A Wi-Fi network adapter card must be installed
2. Virtual Router Manager – Free software-based router
This open sourced software works on Windows 7 and 8 PCs.
- 100% free virtual router
- Share wirelessly any internet connection – cable, Wi-Fi, LAN, dial-up, cellular
- Completely secured connection with WPA2 encryption
- No annoying ads, as it is not ad-supported
- Connect any device (laptop, smart-phone, etc.) to the virtual router
- PC must have Wi-Fi network adapter card installed
3. Virtual Router – Zero configuration required
This is a free and stable software that turns your PC into a virtual router.
- Works on Windows, except XP
- Share any internet connection wirelessly and connect all devices
- A handy GUI tool to create a Wi-Fi hotspot with one click
- No installation required – simply download and extract
- Advanced settings for changing SSID and password
- Detection, verification and retry logic implemented
4. Connectify – With money back guarantee
Connectify is a free software that allows you to turn your computer into a virtual router.
- Share any internet connection wirelessly
- Connect all your Wi-Fi enabled devices
- Security with WPA2 encryption
- Paid upgrades – Pro and Max
- Upgraded version allows sharing of 3G, 4G and Tethered connections over Wi-Fi
- Connectify Max allows bridging connected devices to your home network
5. mhotspot – Also available on Android!
Turn your PC or laptop into a Wi-Fi hotspot with this handy and free software, mhotspot.
- Share any type of internet connection (Ethernet, LAN, 3G/4G, etc.)
- Connect up to 10 devices to the hotspot
- Acts as a repeater – extends your Wi-Fi range
- Works on Windows 7, 8, 10
- Also available on Android – turn your phone into a hotspot
- Check network usage
6. Winhotspot – Free Virtual Wi-Fi Router
Download this software for create your own Wi-Fi hotspot – and what’s more, it is completely free!
Routers For Mac Pc
- Works on computers with Windows 7 and 8
- Share any kind of internet connection (LAN, cable, Wi-Fi, etc.) wirelessly
- Connect multiple devices like smart-phone, tablet, etc.
- Security and safety of connection maintained by WPA encryption
- Configuration process explained in detail on the website
7. My Public Wi-Fi – Turn your computer int o a Wi-Fi access point
This freeware program can be fully used, without limitations or restrictions, to create your own Wi-FI hotspot easily.
- Compatible with Windows 7, 8 and 10
- Share all kinds of internet connections (Ethernet, DSL, Wi-Fi, etc.)
- Use it as a repeater
- Setup and connection process explained on the website
- Restrict user access with My Public Wi-Fi Firewall
- Track all visited URL pages
8. My Router – Free Virtual Wi-Fi Router
Share your internet securely with your other devices by turning your PC into a Wi-Fi hotspot with MyRouter.
- Share all kinds of internet connection (LAN, Wi-Fi, etc.)
- Connect your Wi-Fi enabled devices to the internet connection
- A user-friendly interface
- Security of connection maintained by WPA2 encryption
- Easily customize your SSID
- Compatible with Windows 7 and 8
- Wireless network card required
9. Wi-Fi Hotspot Creator – Free Virtual Router Software
Use the handy Wi-Fi Hotspot Creator to turn your PC or laptop into a virtual router – and it is completely free for use!
- Supports multiple languages – English, Portuguese, Spanish, Korean
- Software 100% free of malware
- Easy to install – lightweight and fast software
- Safety of connection ensured by industry standard WPA2 PSK password security
- Unlimited email support provided by the developers
10. Wi-FI Spot – Turn your PC into a hotspot
This program from Zards Software is free for download and allows you to create your own Wi-Fi hotspot in a matter of minutes!
- Share any kinds of internet connection including another Wi-Fi network
- Extend the range of an Wi-Fi network
- Security of connection ensured by WPA2 encryption
- Can be set to try and auto recover and restart in cases of network fault
Suppose you are in a hotel that charges per device for the Wi-Fi? Simply create a hotspot and pay for one device – simple and effective!