|Founded||25 July 1981|
London and Berlin,
|Charles Moir (founder)|
Xara is an international software company founded in 1981, with an HQ in Berlin and development office in Hemel Hempstead, UK. It has developed software for a variety of computer platforms, in chronological order: the Acorn Atom, BBC Micro, Z88, Atari ST, Acorn Archimedes, Microsoft Windows, Linux, and more recently web browser-based services.
The company was founded in 1981 by Charles Moir. It started by developing for various 8-bit systems, such as the Acorn Atom and BBC Micro.. It was originally called Computer Concepts, Ltd.; the company name was changed to Xara, Ltd., in 1995, and later to The Xara Group, Ltd. iXara Ltd started to explore cloud developments, and since 2016 both companies have been subsidiaries of Xara GmbH.
Xara Web Designer is not available for Mac but there are plenty of alternatives that runs on macOS with similar functionality. The most popular Mac alternative is Adobe Dreamweaver.It's not free, so if you're looking for a free alternative, you could try BlueGriffon or KompoZer.If that doesn't suit you, our users have ranked 41 alternatives to Xara Web Designer and 14 are available for Mac so.
Atari ST and Acorn Archimedes development
In 1986, they released its first piece of software for the next generation of computers, Fast ASM for the Atari ST. Development was focused on software for the Acorn Archimedes when it was released in 1987. ArtWorks, the predecessor to Xara Xtreme, was released on the Archimedes.
- An ultra-simple way to edit your Xara sites online in a web browser using any device (yes even a Mac, iPad or Android tablet!) It's the perfect answer if you want to update your Xara site remotely, or work collaboratively in real-time with colleagues or clients. NEW: Now available in a great value Xara Cloud+ bundle with Xara Designer Pro.
- Xara Xtreme on the Mac Ironically, given the dominance of the Mac in graphic design circles, there is no mass-market, high performance, easy-to-use graphic-design tools available for the Mac. For more than 10 years, we've had a continuous stream of Mac users asking, begging, that we port Xara X to their platform.
- Linux and Mac OS X Xara Xtreme LX (2006) – Open Source / Free Software port of the software. Since 2008 there has been no further development of Xara Xtreme for Linux.
- Xara 3D Maker by Xara Group Ltd is a powerful graphical design application that gives you the possibility to add 3D effects to your texts. Unfortunately, you can't install Xara 3D Maker for Mac without a virtualization software. So, you might want to download other graphical design tools for Mac.
In 1995, a subsidiary company called Xara Networks, Ltd. was formed, specializing in the provision of high-bandwidth Internet connectivity to companies and ISPs. Xara Networks was subsequently sold to the ITG group in London, most commonly known for the Global Internet brand, and was subsequently renamed GX Networks.
Move to Windows
Early in the 1990s, Xara began developing for Microsoft Windows 95, as Acorn Computers struggled for market share. Artworks was rewritten from the ground up for the platform and in 1994 it was released as Xara Studio. This involved a team of 20+ developers, who worked for more than two years to produce a competitor to then market-leading drawing software CorelDRAW.
The Canadian company Corel brought the marketing rights of the software and re-branded it as CorelXARA. Corel marketed it as a web-oriented companion to CorelDRAW, but it was clearly designed as a stand-alone alternative to the older software. The arrangement with Corel ended after five years.
In 2000, Xara released the software themselves as Xara X, which was superseded by Xara X¹ in 2004, then Xara Xtreme in 2005, later renamed Xara Photo & Graphic Designer. In 2006, an enhanced version was released, named Xara Xtreme Pro, later renamed Xara Designer Pro.
Xara has released other Windows titles relating to publishing and design, for print and the web, including Web Designer, Page & Layout Designer and Xara 3D Maker.
Xara Cloud SaaS (Software as a Service)
Since 2015, Xara has offered cloud based services under the name of Xara Online Designer while in beta, with full release under the name Xara Cloud in 2018. Xara Cloud can be used to create, edit and share a range of business documents in a web browser using any device. These can be documents created with Xara's desktop titles, or any of the document templates provided by Xara Cloud.
Since 1984, Xara's development has taken place in Gaddesden Place, Hemel Hempstead, an 18th-century Palladian style villa, designed by the celebrated architect James Wyatt, built in 1768 and reputed to be his first building in the UK. Xara HQ is now in Berlin. Outlook plugins for mac os.
List of products by platform
- Wordwise – a ROM based word processor
- Disc Doctor – utility software
- Graphics ROM – graphics utilities
- SpellMaster – a ROM-based spell checker. Believed to be the world's first check-as-you-type spell checker
- Inter-Word, Inter-Sheet, Inter-Chart, Inter-Base – a suite of ROM based productivity applications
- Fast ASM (1986) – 68000 assembler
- Fast BASIC – a ROM-based, BBC BASIC-like semi-compiled BASIC language
Acorn Archimedes / RISC OS
- ArtWorks (1991) – vector graphics drawing software. Predecessor to Xara Photo & Graphic Designer. The first drawing program to offer real-time vector anti-aliasing. MW Software continued development from 1996 onwards.
- Impression – desktop publishing package (and variants Impression Style, Impression Publisher)
- Equasor – equation building tool
- AudioWorks – audio editor
- WordWorks – English dictionary and Thesaurus
- TurboDrivers – a range of printer drivers
- MacFS – utility to read and write Apple Mac discs
- Compression – general purpose compression utility, similar to ZIP (file format)
The company also developed a range of hardware for the Acorn Archimedes including:
- ColourCard – graphics card – the first to produce 24 bpp video for the Acorn
- ScanLight – a range of hand-held and flatbed scanners and software
- LaserDirect – a range of laser printers. The company developed the world's first 600dpi that retailed under £1000 (it purchased printer engines from Canon Inc, and using its own drivers and laser modulation techniques (hardware and software) was able to increase the resolution to 600 dpi.
Xara X For Mac X
- Xara Studio (1994)
- CorelXARA (1996)
- Xara Webstyle (1998)
- Xara X (2000)
- Xara X¹ (2004)
- Xara Xtreme (2005)
- Xara Xtreme Pro (2006)
- Xara 3D Maker – creates 3D text, graphics and animations such as headings, logos, titles and buttons
- Xara Web Designer (2009) – WYSIWYG web design program
- Xara Page & Layout Designer (2013) – combines page layout, word processor and image editing capabilities
- Xara Photo & Graphic Designer – vector illustration, photo editing & graphic design
- Xara Designer Pro – combines the features and content of Web Designer, Photo & Graphic Designer, and Page & Layout Designer
Xara For Mac
Linux and Mac OS X
- Xara Xtreme LX (2006) – Open Source/Free Software port of the software. Since 2008 there has been no further development of Xara Xtreme for Linux.
- Xara Cloud – a cloud-based service that enables the collaborative editing and sharing of documents designed with Xara's desktop titles or based on Xara Cloud templates, in a web browser using any platform.
Xara X For Mac 10.10
- ^Goodwins, Rupert (25 July 2006). 'Rupert Goodwins' Diary; Tuesday 25/07/2006'. ZDNet. Retrieved 15 December 2011.
Congratulations to Xara on 25 years of business.
- ^ abcdeXara Group History
- ^Clarke, Gavin (12 January 2012). 'Acorn King Moir: BBC Micros, Ataris and 'BS' marketing'. Archived from the original on 9 August 2018. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- ^Xara Xtreme for Linux
Xara Xtreme for Linux is a powerful, general purpose graphics program for Unix platforms including Linux, FreeBSD and (in development) OS-X.
Formely known as Xara LX, it is based on Xara Xtreme for Windows, which is the fastest graphics program available, period. The Xara Xtreme source code was made available open-source in early 2006, and is being ported to Linux. This process is almost complete and Xara Xtreme for Linux is available for download now.
Xara Xtreme for Linux:
- Is very fast, very slick to use.
- Offers some of the most powerful graphics tools available.
- Is simple to use and learn.
- Has a clean, un-cluttered user interface. Few floating dialogs, palettes, menus etc.
- Is able to create a huge range of outstanding graphics.
- Has a huge resource of learning material, tutorials, movies, tips and a very active enthusiastic and growing user community.
'Xara LX promises to be the most important gift from the proprietary world to free software since OpenOffice.org.'
Linux.com - read the review
'Could Xara Xtreme become the StarOffice/OpenOffice.org of the graphics world? We wonâ€™t be betting against it.'
'With its amazing speed, small size, reasonable system requirements, moderate price and powerful feature set, itâ€™s hard to go wrong with Xara Xtreme. Xaraâ€™s recent announcements to make Xtreme open source and to develop Mac and Linux version should only make this excellent product even better.'